Built is a Family Formation Production Series begun as a fun evening for the whole family, enjoying music, sharing a meal together and then watching a video followed by a brief discussion. Each new Built series will kick off with a dinner and kids activities ; followed by a viewing of the video on our outdoor screen. (Rain location: Gym) After that you watch each episode together once a week as a family in the comfort of your own home after your family’s dinner time.
Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explained
We begin our journey into the heart of the Catholic Faith as pilgrims, exploring the reality of God, who he is, and how he expresses himself to us in the most meaningful way imaginable. In this 10 part series, you will follow a systematic presentation of our Catholic Faith. It will lead you through the “big picture” of the Catholic Faith and our Creed is the guide. Symbolon brings together some of the most trusted Catholic teachers in the world to guide you through the breadth and richness of the Catholic faith. Symbolon is a 2 part series: we will examine the first, which focuses on Knowing the Faith. Symbolon Part 2, focuses on Living the Faith.
We will explore this first episode, The Journey of Faith: Trinity, Faith & the God Who Is Love, together, on Friday, May 20. but then you are to continue viewing the series via the Formed link on the myParishApp .
Here’s how it works:
- 7:00 PM-8:30 PM: Families may begin arriving and set up on the Rectory Lawn. Bring low lawn chairs or blankets. Food will be provided along with a bouncy house and field games for the kids.
- 8:30 PM-9:00 PM: We will view the evening’s episode (rain location: Gym)
- 9:00 PM-9:30 PM: Join us in a discussion
- 9:30 PM -10:00 PM: Then tidy up and head for home!
You will then follow up each week watching a new episode from home. Discussion questions will be posted in the bulletin each week and archived below:
Episode and Discussion Questions:
May 20 Kick Off Event: Symbolon: Session 1: The Journey of Faith: Trinity, Faith & the God Who Is Love
- Faith is our response to the God who longs to make himself known to us. How do we make that response and how is faith in God more than just believing in God?
- The Holy Trinity is revealed to us through Jesus Christ. In other words, God wanted us to know, as the Catechism says, that “God is one but not solitary” (CCC 254). Why do you think God wants you to know that he is not solitary?
- According to the video, what are three key elements of prayer?
- What is inconsistent with this line of reasoning: “There is a God, God is love, but we can’t know with confidence who God is and what his will is for us”?
- Why do you think the Church from earliest times chose to use the word revelation, or unveiling, to describe how God has communicated to us?
- In the video, the presenter used the imagery of a three-legged stool to describe how Divine Revelation is handed on. What are the three “legs” of the stool?
Week of May 29: Symbolon Session 3: The Bible: God’s Love Letter to Humanity
Week of June 26: Symbolon Session 7: The Holy Spirit & the Life of Grace
Week of July 17: Symbolon Session 10: The Last Things: What Happens After We Die?